[linux-elitists] HSUPA/HSDPA on Linux

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Wed Aug 19 19:05:24 PDT 2009

Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) <shot at hot.pl> wrote:

>Don’t get me wrong, I really like Ubuntu and the idea of regular
>releases, but I got bitten hard by a critical bug¹ that was known
>before Jaunty’s release and still isn’t fixed.

That's my main concern about time-based releases: meeting a schedule becomes
more important than finding and fixing bugs, even critically important ones.
Debian's latest idea of time-based freezes might work better, in that there is
no fixed deadline for correcting the release-critical bugs.

With time-based releases and inadequate bug fixing, the users are perpetually
serving as beta testers, so there is a risk of lower over-all quality.

Obviously, these considerations apply just as well to individual pieces of
software as to entire operating systems. The kernel, for example, has
time-based "merge windows" followed by periods of stabilization work during
which regressions and bugs are addressed.