[linux-elitists] Module checklist for build-your-own kernels?

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Wed Aug 19 15:55:33 PDT 2009

begin Greg KH quotation of Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 11:08:54AM -0700:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 09:44:23AM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> >
> > Every so often, though, I realize I'm missing a
> > module and I have to go back and build something.
> > Does anyone have a script that will take the list
> > of currently inserted modules, compare to a .config,
> > and warn if that .config won't build a module that's
> > actually in use on the system?
>
> I don't have quite that kind of script, but I do have a script that
> takes an existing running kernel, looks at the modules, and sets the
> proper config options up for it.  That's good when booting with a distro
> kernel, and wanting to generate a config that doesn't include everything
> and the kitchen sink which takes forever to build on most systems.

Close enough, and works for me.  Just have to copy
over a distro .config, make oldconfig, rebuild and
boot, first, to get the version to match.  (Yes, and
manually add back in the hardware I was too lazy to
dig out the wall wart for.)

http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti at zgp.org
See you at OpenSource World: August 11-13, 2009 in San Francisco