[linux-elitists] HSUPA/HSDPA on Linux

Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) shot at hot.pl
Mon Aug 17 10:58:58 PDT 2009

Teh Entar-Nick:

> The moment of [Ubuntu] release is largely a synchronization checkpoint
> and press event. Essentially it's no different from "mv rcN.iso
> released.iso". And from what I recall, differences between rc ISOs
> are typically about the installer.

Yeah, and then they keep on fixing ‘release critical’ bugs, which means
it’s quite sensible to wait till mid-November before upgrading (and
pulling fresh karmic-updates in before you reboot).

Don’t get me wrong, I really like Ubuntu and the idea of regular
releases, but I got bitten hard by a critical bug¹ that was known
before Jaunty’s release and still isn’t fixed. This particular bug
(a) causes more-or-less silent data loss on systems, (b) affects backups
if the system can write to them and (c) is present in both the kernel
shipped with Jaunty and the current kernel in -updates – which means
there’s no simple way to upgrade to the only safe combination of Jaunty
plus vanilla 2.6.30 kernel, and any ‘default’ upgrade path will make you
at some point boot into a kernel that silently destroys data.

¹ https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/346691

— Shot, who’s only grateful it was his personal machine and its backups
that suffered from this bug, not his uni server – and before you say
‘you should stick to LTS releases on a server’ do check Hardy’s open
bugs on Samba and suPHP…
--
I’ve got an inferiority complex, but it’s not very good.