[linux-elitists] Module checklist for build-your-own kernels?

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Mon Aug 10 17:11:01 PDT 2009

[Matthew Galosi]
> I usually just nab a .config file from the fedora kernels when I'm
> building a kernel.org. It's not what you asked, but it's my answer
> for when I need to configure a workable kernel on my own.

I do the same with Debian and Ubuntu

It doesn't get you and special or add-on modules- do you care?

cd <my kernel build dir>
cp /boot/config-$(uname -r) .config
make oldconfig
make menuconfig
... and off we go...

BTW, this is the way I got tickless kernel running in Debian before it
was officially supported.  I've building kernel.org kernels
selectively for some time and had very few issues but of course it is
a risk.  I don't think I've ever even had data corruption from running
a linus kernel.  But I'm not as agressive as many- generally I just
take the .config as above and add the one or two key features or
drivers I want.

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 4:30 PM, James Morris<jmorris at namei.org> wrote:
> iIf you want bleeding edge kernels, you could also try using the Fedora
> development kernels on the latest stable Fedora.
>
> That will also likely make it easier for you to report issues which may
> arise, get them fixed upstream, and resolved for yourself.

And again, you can do the same with Debian- a sid or testing kernel
with testing or stable.

Or you can even run a kernel.org kernel and report your bugs straight to lkml.

If you dare.

But why not- it's not like debian or fedora maintainers are
necessarily and less flammable than lkml folks.

Anyhow, I did this just a couple weeks ago- I'm two minor revs ahead
of Ubuntu now since the kernel.org kernel supports the wifi chipset on
my new Gateway amd64 "netbook".

Of course I do have very little nonduplicated stuff on this netbook.  YMMV

Tony