[linux-elitists] Conference planning

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Wed Apr 29 10:03:38 PDT 2009

begin Marc MERLIN quotation of Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 08:43:21AM -0700:
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:32:52AM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> > One more difference: the speaker lounge.  At LWCE, there's in effect this
> > little secret elite conference just for speakers.  At SCALE, you see
> > speakers out in conversation in the lobby/bar area.  Looks like a major
> > attendee bonus.  I'm inclined to ask IDG management to scratch the speaker
>
> To a point though. For the most part when speakers have those mini meetings,
> they kind of enjoy the time alone, preferably without groupies :)
> (not that most attendees are bad, but a few can be pretty interruptive of an
> otherwise perfectly productive hacker discussion).

The problem is when there's more speaker-only time
than potential mingling time.  Maybe the solution is
to put the coffee at the other end of the facility,
and just give the speakers 1337 speaker mugs that
entitle them to free coffee.  (And get mug shipping
boxes and offer to send each speaker's mug home
afterward.)

> Lessons learned:
> 1) don't futz with your laptop on the day of your talk (I wasn't in this
>    case, that had happened months earlier)

Don't futz with your laptop for n days before
traveling.

> 4) have a backup plan when all else fails (including your laptop dying):
>    I export my slides to html and put them on my web site so that I can
>    take any laptop and show mostly the same slides from the web

Dude, show networks are the only technology flakier
than laptop/X/projector beefs.  Copy the thing to a
USB key, mail it as an attachment to the conference
organizers, and burn a CD.

http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti at zgp.org
See you at OpenSource World: August 11-13, 2009 in San Francisco