[linux-elitists] Conference planning

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Wed Apr 29 08:43:21 PDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:32:52AM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> One more difference: the speaker lounge.  At LWCE, there's in effect this
> little secret elite conference just for speakers.  At SCALE, you see
> speakers out in conversation in the lobby/bar area.  Looks like a major
> attendee bonus.  I'm inclined to ask IDG management to scratch the speaker

To a point though. For the most part when speakers have those mini meetings,
they kind of enjoy the time alone, preferably without groupies :)
(not that most attendees are bad, but a few can be pretty interruptive of an
otherwise perfectly productive hacker discussion).

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:56:35AM -0600, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> mangled somehow.  It can be a pain to stand in front of a crowd trying
> to make projection work (though my hassles that way have been minimal),

I know you often get a morning slot, sometimes even on the first day, so
you may not have that luxury as much, but I know I've always been able to
go between two talks in the room I was supposed to be in, and test their
equipment.
I had an embarrassing time where I showed up 45mn before my talk one year at
LCA and barely got my video out working again after some fglrx fuckup (which
I had to upgrade due to a kernel upgrade that forced it).
Now, I'm thankfully running the new working OSS driver for my chip.

Lessons learned:
1) don't futz with your laptop on the day of your talk (I wasn't in this
   case, that had happened months earlier)
2) how about you make sure vga out (still) works before you go to the conf :)
   (I failed to do that once, it was the story above)
3) show up in the room before the talk, preferably hours before, to test
   your laptop
4) have a backup plan when all else fails (including your laptop dying):
   I export my slides to html and put them on my web site so that I can
   take any laptop and show mostly the same slides from the web

I actually believe that all conference organizers should give the above tips
to all their speakers.

> but it's also a *real* pain to have to explain to your audience that
> they're supposed to be looking at a nicely-formatted table rather than
> the mess that's actually on the screen.
>
> So, yes, I'm one of those speakers who will use his own equipment if at
> all possible.

Yes.

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/