[linux-elitists] iotop: a Tool for Monitoring Hard-disk Activity for Linux

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Sat Apr 25 04:11:15 PDT 2009

Today I discovered iotop:

* http://guichaz.free.fr/iotop/

* http://freshmeat.net/projects/iotop

It's a tool to find which processes are doing the most hard-disk activity at
present. Useful for the cases where your hard-disks' LED is active and you
don't know why.

The 0.2.1 version (which is the latest) is available in the Mandriva Cooker
repositories, and it was a single urpmi command away from installation. I
assume installing it on Debian, Ubuntu, etc. should be just as easy.

I learned about iotop in this blog post (in Hebrew, though) by Ilan Shavit:
http://ilsh.info/?p=1471 , which I read today.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

P.S: iotop's name now reminds me of an isotope .

My Aphorisms - http://www.shlomifish.org/humour.html

read.