[linux-elitists] Questions for Linus Torvalds?

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Thu Apr 9 08:39:44 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:44:41PM -0700, James Sparenberg wrote:
> Don Marti wrote:
> >Just got an assignment from a media site to interview
> >Linus Torvalds -- any questions you want asked please
> >let me know and I'll try to fit them in.
> >
> >No, I'm not going to ask "are you going to use GPLv3?"
> >or "When do I really have to call fsync(2)?"
> >

> Two questions, feel free to wordsmith (others will I'm sure ;) )
>
> 1.  With the release of Android, we now have a "version" of Linux that
> is not a GNU dominated, Unix like cross platform system.  In fact
> T-Mobile seems poised to make it an OS on multiple (Cell Phone/Home
> Phone/Netbook) consumer products they sell. What does he see as the
> affect of Android on the market place, and Linux as a whole.

So, I work for google, but do not work or speak for android.

That said, I can correct that question a little based on public information:
It's not just Tmobile that is interested on using android on multiple consumer
products.
Among others:
http://mobiletechaddicts.com/2009/03/04/pre-order-android-laptop/
http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2009/03/06/asus-planning-android-based-mini-laptop/
http://d0od.blogspot.com/2008/12/android-netbook-coming-early-next-year.html
http://www.channelinsider.com/c/a/Hewlett-Packard/HP-Android-Netbook-to-Muscle-Out-Microsoft-Windows-Intel-Atom-655743/

Your question is still good, I would just say "in fact, T-Mobile and other
vendors..." or "Various vendors".

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/