[linux-elitists] Questions for Linus Torvalds?

Jason Spence jspence at lightconsulting.com
Wed Apr 8 01:56:11 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:44:41PM -0700, James Sparenberg wrote:
> Don Marti wrote:
> > Just got an assignment from a media site to interview
> > Linus Torvalds -- any questions you want asked please
> > let me know and I'll try to fit them in.
> >
> > No, I'm not going to ask "are you going to use GPLv3?"
> > or "When do I really have to call fsync(2)?"
> >

> Two questions, feel free to wordsmith (others will I'm sure ;) )
>
> 1.  With the release of Android, we now have a "version" of Linux that
> is not a GNU dominated, Unix like cross platform system.  In fact
> T-Mobile seems poised to make it an OS on multiple (Cell Phone/Home
> Phone/Netbook) consumer products they sell. What does he see as the
> affect of Android on the market place, and Linux as a whole.
>
> 2.  Intel Atom vs ARM;  as ARM CPU's are reaching computational capacity
> previously only held by i386 and some MIPS systems, what does he see as
> the outcome and the future here.  Especially since the OS from Redmond
> doesn't run on ARM.

WinCE does, and Windows 7 has been ported to ARM.  I've seen it.  The
kernel and shell have been ported, but there was still a ton of work
to be done as of Januaryish.  Among other things, the graphics drivers
don't exist and the kernel still thinks ACPI is around.

I'm told they're going to try to qual it for simultaneous release with
the x86 and amd64 builds.  This doesn't seem very likely to me because
although the ARM compiler has been mature for years, there are exactly
zero Microsoft products which ship a version capable of outputting
non-WinCE binaries.  This means that third party software simply won't
be available for ARM until a version of the platform SDK with offical
ARM support shows up on MSDN.  It could be years before there's enough
third party software to make it a viable platform.

On second thought, that means that Windows 7/ARM will be limited to
Internet Explorer and Windows Mail initially.  Hmm.

--
 - Jason                                   Last known location: 98.210.123.132

[The French Riviera is] a sunny place for shady people.
		-- Somerset Maugham