[linux-elitists] [Opensim-dev] Mono considered harmful

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Apr 4 07:19:14 PDT 2009


IANAL, does below explanation by Adam hold water?

----- Forwarded message from "Frisby, Adam" <adam at deepthink.com.au> -----

From: "Frisby, Adam" <adam at deepthink.com.au>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 23:36:58 -0400
To: "mike.dickson at hp.com" <mike.dickson at hp.com>,
	"opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de" <opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de>
Subject: Re: [Opensim-dev] Mono considered harmful
Reply-To: opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de

Since this discussion is raised every 6 months without fail, I present:

http://www.adamfrisby.com/blog/2008/08/opensim-c-standards-patents-and-you/

Written the last time this came up.

Short answer:
* ECMA standardisation forbids MS from suing implementers.
* C# and its standard library are ECMA standards.


Adam

> -----Original Message-----
> From: opensim-dev-bounces at lists.berlios.de [mailto:opensim-dev-
> bounces at lists.berlios.de] On Behalf Of Mike Dickson
> Sent: Friday, 3 April 2009 9:00 AM
> To: opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de
> Subject: Re: [Opensim-dev] Mono considered harmful
> 
> Sigh...
> 
> Then go pick some other platform to work on. OpenSim seems pretty
> solidly committed to the C#/Mono choice it made when it was started.
> 
> And yes, of course my argument is speculation.  Unless you have a
> crystal ball and know for certain you're going to get sued how can it
> be
> anything but that.
> 
> Companies use patents for leverage all the time.  In this day and age
> that's probably their highest value (fwiw, I personally don't believe
> software patents are a good thing, or even sensible, copyright law
> seems
> more appropriate to me).
> 
> Seriously, all I was saying is this is a storm in a teacup. It
> shouldn't
> stop useful work from getting done.  Or cloud the excellent work that's
> been done to date.
> 
> Mike
> 
> On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 15:49 +0000, Nebadon Izumi wrote:
> > your argument is 100% speculation and not based in any facts sorry to
> > say, you can assume all you like, doesnt make what your saying true.
> >
> > Neb
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 8:48 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> >         On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 10:13:47AM -0500, Mike Dickson wrote:
> >
> >         > won't go into details) the worst case scenarios is that
> >         you'd not be
> >         > able to run it on Linux using Mono. If you're inclined
> >         towards floating
> >
> >
> >         So you're saying the worst case (which is I think is arguably
> >         likely, actually) is that OpenSim only runs on proprietary
> >         systems.
> >         OpenSim becoming Windows-only, eventually.
> >
> >         > anxiety then this is something to worry about. Otherwise
> >         from an OpenSim
> >         > perspective there are bigger fish to fry. Like getting to
> >         1.0...
> >
> >
> >         Becoming ghetto and then long-term insignificant is less
> >         important
> >         than getting 1.0 out of the door. Mmmh, okay. If you say so.
> >
> >         --
> >         Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://leitl.org">leitl</a>
> >         http://leitl.org
> >
> ______________________________________________________________
> >         ICBM: 48.07100, 11.36820 http://www.ativel.com
> >         http://postbiota.org
> >         8B29F6BE: 099D 78BA 2FD3 B014 B08A  7779 75B0 2443 8B29 F6BE
> >         _______________________________________________
> >
> >
> >         Opensim-dev mailing list
> >         Opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de
> >         https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-dev
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Nebadon Izumi @ http://osgrid.org
> --
> Mike Dickson <mike.dickson at hp.com>
> BladeSystem infrastructure R&D
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Opensim-dev mailing list
> Opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de
> https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-dev
_______________________________________________
Opensim-dev mailing list
Opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-dev

----- End forwarded message -----
-- 
Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://leitl.org">leitl</a> http://leitl.org
______________________________________________________________
ICBM: 48.07100, 11.36820 http://www.ativel.com http://postbiota.org
8B29F6BE: 099D 78BA 2FD3 B014 B08A  7779 75B0 2443 8B29 F6BE


More information about the linux-elitists mailing list