[linux-elitists] email address obfuscation considered harmful

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam@benfinney.id.au
Wed Sep 10 21:52:09 PDT 2008

Gerald Oskoboiny <gerald@impressive.net> writes:

> I'm disappointed to see that not only has my favorite sentence
> ("Real elitists...") been removed from the current listinfo page,
> but the archives now munge addresses to "gerald at impressive.net"

Which, if nothing else, is contrary to what the listinfo page
currently promises:

    No munging: […] When you post, your address should appear, without
    munging, in the list archives. Requests to munge addresses in the
    archive will be silently dropped or publicly mocked, depending on
    their entertainment value.

> I just posted an entry on W3C's systems blog about the (lack of)
> obfuscation in our mailing list archives, feedback welcome:
> http://www.w3.org/blog/systeam/2008/09/11/email_address_obfuscation
> (here or there, or both)

Would it be churlish of me to point out that real elitists use OpenID
relying parties on their weblogs, instead of requesting "Name, Email,
Site" over and over again? Very well, then I am churlish.

--
 \         “I got up the other day, and everything in my apartment has |
  `\   been stolen and replaced with an exact replica.” —Steven Wright |