[linux-elitists] A modest proposal: SSD disk acceleration in kernel.

Ruben Safir ruben@mrbrklyn.com
Sun Oct 26 10:32:37 PDT 2008

Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 08:32:10PM -0400, Ruben Safir wrote:
>
>> Eugen Leitl wrote:
>>
>>> No more filesystems. Just objects and memory.
>>>
>> Yeah - this is gibberish.  And how does the system find them?  Uhhh
>> well, yah see, you
>> have this data and you keep tract of it ...
>>

> Start here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Lisp_Object_System
> Just download SBCL sources, and look up how it's implemented.

No - I won't.  LISP has used up all its capital with regard to wasting
my time.

>> Yeah that is a database.
>>

> Would you call a memory lookup a database, too? That does not
> strike me as a very useful abstraction.

A recipe  box and the Dewey decimal system are databases.  Get with it
We're talking 7th grade concepts now.

Ruben