[linux-elitists] A modest proposal: SSD disk acceleration in kernel.

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Sat Oct 25 13:33:52 PDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 12:56:45PM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 02:36:21PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
>
> > Seriously, what are you talking about here, some type of object-based
> > filesystem?  That stuff was debunked long ago.  If you really want
>
> No, just persistent virtual memory. If your RAM is volatile (and is not,
> say MRAM), it's suspended to solid-state disk using a battery buffer.
>
> No more filesystems. Just objects and memory.

Think this through, what are those "objects"?  In the Unix world, those
objects are "files" and file handles to those files.  So you still need
a way to handle those "files" :)

> Preferrably, no reboots either. You switch it on, and the system is
> back to the state where it was. The interesting part is how long you
> can live with GC before you're running out of space or wedge your
> system.
>
> I know this was an old hat in 1990s, but this is the time when we can
> actually do it. Smalltalk people wouldn't probably even blink.

Probably not, I think there are a few smalltalk operating systems still
floating around that you can do this with, have fun with that...

greg k-h