[linux-elitists] A modest proposal: SSD disk acceleration in kernel.

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Sat Oct 25 03:56:45 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 02:36:21PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:

> Seriously, what are you talking about here, some type of object-based
> filesystem?  That stuff was debunked long ago.  If you really want

No, just persistent virtual memory. If your RAM is volatile (and is not,
say MRAM), it's suspended to solid-state disk using a battery buffer.

No more filesystems. Just objects and memory. Preferrably, no reboots
either. You switch it on, and the system is back to the state where it
was. The interesting part is how long you can live with GC before you're
running out of space or wedge your system.

I know this was an old hat in 1990s, but this is the time when we can actually
do it. Smalltalk people wouldn't probably even blink.

> something like that, just use a database on a raw partition/disk, and
> you can have it today.  To try to do that in a "native" filesystem is
> just foolish.
>
> Objects, sheesh, what decade is this anyway...

You mean, you're not sporting a bushy moustache, and wearing flares?
I must have taken the wrong alternative reality branch somewhere...