[linux-elitists] A modest proposal: SSD disk acceleration in kernel.

Jim Thompson jim@netgate.com
Sat Oct 25 00:53:54 PDT 2008

Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 10:04:01PM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>
>>> There's going to be some pretty radical changes in the next 5 years with
>>> regards to how memory and "flash" start getting intermixed.  Don't worry
>>>
>> Will we get GC on persistent objects, and no more filesystems? And
>> just how well is Linux is going to play with that, I wonder.
>>

> If an object is "persistent", why would it ever be garbage collected?
> :)

because you deleted parts of it.
> Seriously, what are you talking about here, some type of object-based
> filesystem?
Nope.. its an object store.
> That stuff was debunked long ago.  If you really want
> something like that, just use a database on a raw partition/disk, and
> you can have it today.  To try to do that in a "native" filesystem is
> just foolish.

Wait, why did you need to run your database on a *raw* partition
again?   Oh yeah, because its really an object store?
> Objects, sheesh, what decade is this anyway...

Thus Sprach the Perl Generation.