[linux-elitists] A modest proposal: SSD disk acceleration in kernel.

Dan Martinez dfm@razorwind.org
Fri Oct 24 16:19:04 PDT 2008

Karsten wrote:

> The downside of SSDs are the cost -- they're still (and I'm guessing as
> price-points dive downward, likely forever will be) about 10 times the
> cost of equivalent rotating media storage -- or conversely, you can
> afford 1/10 the amount of SSD as you can conventional disk.

Maybe. But maybe not.

It's still early days since the memristor's proof of existence in the
spring of this year, but it would seem to show great promise of
high-density non-volatile storage. No doubt it'll take a couple of
years to roll out as a commercial product. We can hope, at any rate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memristor
http://spectrum.ieee.org/may08/6207

Dan