[linux-elitists] A modest proposal: SSD disk acceleration in kernel.

Ruben Safir ruben@mrbrklyn.com
Fri Oct 24 15:07:22 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 02:41:30PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 11:30:33AM -0400, Ruben Safir (ruben@mrbrklyn.com) wrote:

> > > Current SSDs have roughly enterprise drive reliability or better,
> > > thanks to wear levelling algorithms. These are not your CFs.
> > >

> > Eh - then it is time to ditch the platter drives for anything but the
> > most intessive storage conditions.
>
> As I noted:  there's still a near-order-of-magnitude cost differential.
> For applications in which performance, durability, power, and/or weight
> are a factor, SSDs will likely be (and already are) being substituted.
>
> For vast, cheap, reliable (reasonably), non-performance-critical
> applications, we'll be seeing rotating platters for quite some time.
> I'm predicting at least a decade, possibly more.

I'm emailing you from an SSD based machine at the moment.
I don't need a 120 Gig drive on my workstation.  I remember running SuSE
5.1 on a 500meg hard drive.  We really need to just slim things down
and use smaller machines.  I call this the Walkman Revolution.

The Boomboxes needs to die and SSD is a good part of changing the
mindset that people have about computers.  They need to be smarter
designed, small and cheaper.

> Look at tape:  it's still not dead (though it's getting there).  It is
> cheap, cheap, cheap (for media, not drives), and once you've got the
> infrastructure in place, for structured backups, it's still a strong
> contender.  The marginal cost of adding another generation of backups or
> increment of storage is pretty low.

Yeah - for backup systes that the government makes you do.