[linux-elitists] A modest proposal: SSD disk acceleration in kernel.

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Fri Oct 24 14:36:21 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 10:04:01PM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> > There's going to be some pretty radical changes in the next 5 years with
> > regards to how memory and "flash" start getting intermixed.  Don't worry
>
> Will we get GC on persistent objects, and no more filesystems? And
> just how well is Linux is going to play with that, I wonder.

If an object is "persistent", why would it ever be garbage collected?
:)

Seriously, what are you talking about here, some type of object-based
filesystem?  That stuff was debunked long ago.  If you really want
something like that, just use a database on a raw partition/disk, and
you can have it today.  To try to do that in a "native" filesystem is
just foolish.

Objects, sheesh, what decade is this anyway...

greg k-h