[linux-elitists] A modest proposal: SSD disk acceleration in kernel.

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri Oct 24 14:02:41 PDT 2008

Quoting Greg KH (greg@kroah.com):

> Also note that the new Intel flash isn't the "traditional" type flash
> that people have been using for years.  It's quite a different thing
> down at the physical level with regards to composition of materials and
> usage models.

Looking over Intel's pages, all I can find is that they use 34nm 32
gigabit multi-level cell NAND chips jointly developed by Intel and
Micron and manufactured at their joint venture, IM Flash Technologies.
MLC (multi-level cell) physical layout does seem a major improvement
that significantly increases storage density, but all of NAND flash's
typical problems seem to remain, including wear on account of the
limited number of erase-write cycle each sector can endure before
failing.