[linux-elitists] A modest proposal: SSD disk acceleration in kernel.

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Fri Oct 24 13:04:01 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 12:37:41PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > number of erase cycles that a flash can do?
>
> Physics.

Sure, but even MLC does 10^5 cycles nowadays. Materials and
processes progress continuously.

Incidentally, I'm doing an experiment tomorrow, by moving my
pfSense firewall on a WRAP from embedded to full install on
a cheap Transcend 4 GB CF MLC flash. I'm hearing I can expect
at least several years of half life at that usage pattern.

> Also note that the new Intel flash isn't the "traditional" type flash
> that people have been using for years.  It's quite a different thing
> down at the physical level with regards to composition of materials and
> usage models.

I've been hoping to see fully static (MRAM-based) designs by now. This
doesn't seem to pull a bubble memory, but it's starting to smell a bit.

> There's going to be some pretty radical changes in the next 5 years with
> regards to how memory and "flash" start getting intermixed.  Don't worry

Will we get GC on persistent objects, and no more filesystems? And
just how well is Linux is going to play with that, I wonder.