[linux-elitists] A modest proposal: SSD disk acceleration in kernel.

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Fri Oct 24 12:37:41 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 03:20:54PM -0400, Ruben Safir wrote:

> I' going to have to go to school on the flash drive but what limits the
> number of erase cycles that a flash can do?

Physics.

Also note that the new Intel flash isn't the "traditional" type flash
that people have been using for years.  It's quite a different thing
down at the physical level with regards to composition of materials and
usage models.

There's going to be some pretty radical changes in the next 5 years with
regards to how memory and "flash" start getting intermixed.  Don't worry
Linux will support this all just wonderfully, and before any other
operating system, Intel has been _very_ good at keeping the Linux kernel
developers in the loop during their development cycle, much more so than
any other hardware manufacturer in recent history.

thanks,

greg k-h