[linux-elitists] A modest proposal: SSD disk acceleration in kernel.

Ruben Safir ruben@mrbrklyn.com
Fri Oct 24 08:30:33 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 05:01:31PM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 10:58:40AM -0400, Ruben Safir wrote:
>
> > BBad idea with current SSD's bcause of limited life.
>
> Current SSDs have roughly enterprise drive reliability or better,
> thanks to wear levelling algorithms. These are not your CFs.

Eh - then it is time to ditch the platter drives for anything but the
most intessive storage conditions.

As they come into production they well get cheaper anyway and once you
add in the costs of raids et al, its probably nearly a wash, especilly
over the lifetime of the machine.  I have another fundemental view on
this which is, aside from the fact that I think latters are a dead
technology, and its time to let them go, I also believe that better,
bigger faster is also a dead end.  Its time to think in terms of the
right computer for the right job and to end OS bloat.

bettr to miniturize and start making machines more green.

Ruben