[linux-elitists] A modest proposal: SSD disk acceleration in kernel.

Karsten M. Self karsten@linuxmafia.com
Fri Oct 24 08:26:02 PDT 2008

on Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 10:58:40AM -0400, Ruben Safir (ruben@mrbrklyn.com) wrote:

> >   - Swap to SSD.  As an intermediate stage between disk and memory in
> >     speed, and with no seek penalty, parking your swap on SSD becomes a
> >     no-brainer.  Likewise your suspend/restore partition (which is
> >     already in swap if you or your distro are sane).  Suddenly paging
> >     itself becomes a much less significant matter (you lose some
> >     performance, but it's not order-of-magnitude as now).
> >

> BBad idea with current SSD's bcause of limited life.

See Linus's blog entry (referenced in OP) for specifics on SSD lifetimes
and MTBF.  The evidence there is that it's at least comperable to
rotational media.  I'm guessing with sufficient error detection and
correction and allowing for degraded volume, probably better.

Peace.

    Ceterum censeo, Caldera delenda est.