[linux-elitists] One more thing on DRM...

Ruben Safir ruben@mrbrklyn.com
Tue Oct 7 10:47:03 PDT 2008

Ruben Safir wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 02:49:36PM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
>
>> >From the political news files:
>>   http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/26/michael-savage-lawsuit-ag_n_115103.html
>>
>>   "In her ruling Friday, U.S. District Judge Susan
>>   Illston said people who listen to a public broadcast
>>   are entitled to use excerpts for purposes of comment
>>   and criticism."
>>
>> Of course, if the comment and criticism had used a
>> circumvented copy of a DRM-restricted work, no such
>> exception applies.
>>
>> Anyone got an example of a straight-up _political
>> speaker_ who's using a DRM-restricted format, and
>> a comment on or criticism of that speaker?
>>

> This Judge is a crackpot and these people don't yet understand the
> monster they're creating.
>
> But what is more interesting, IMO, is the Real case against the MPAA
> with their new ripping software, which in itself seems like a Free
> Software nightmare.
>

> Should I cite a news source?
>
> Ruben

Eh - the next shoe to drop has shut done realmedia's realdvd, at least
for now.
Hopes to make the vast majority of serious move buffs legal is still on
hold.  Every time
something like this happens, I hope it ticks off enough people until
they turn on the
MPAA and CSS and demand protection of fair use.

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/RealDVD-Works-Great---If-You-Can-Get-It-64722.html?wlc=1223401067

RealNetworks (Nasdaq: RNWK) Latest News about RealNetworks released its
controversial
RealDVD movie ripping application last week but within days removed the
program from its Web
site due to a legal feud with the Motion Picture Association of America
Latest News about Motion
Picture Association of America (MPAA).

RealNetworks provided TechNewsWorld with a final prelease version of the
RealDVD software
last week in consideration of a new product review. The app lets you
save a copy of a DVD to your
PC's hard drive. It only works with a DVD, not content saved to a DVR or
other digital media devices.
The program allows DVD owners to place their disc libraries onto their
computers' hard drives and play
them without physically inserting the DVD into the optical drive.

RealNetworks claims that its RealDVD complies with the DVD Copy Control
Association's license agreement.
However, MPAA argues that through the manufacture and distribution of
RealDVD, RealNetworks has attempted
to leverage its Content Scramble System (CSS) license improperly by
permitting users to circumvent the protections of CSS.

Legal arguments aside, RealDVD does as it advertises. It performs as
well or better than similar products, some of which are free.

Ruben