[linux-elitists] Is this not the funniest documentation you ever read?

Ruben Safir ruben@mrbrklyn.com
Thu Oct 2 09:43:09 PDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 05:38:17PM +0100, Teh Entar-Nick wrote:
> Ruben Safir:
> > On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 10:40:29AM +0100, Teh Entar-Nick wrote:
> > > The sad thing is that the world is nowhere near as messy as the one
> > > Autoconf was designed for.  We no longer need a system that will
> > > spit out build scripts that work on Apollo workstations, Ultrix, and
> > > 2.11BSD.
> [..]
> > You seem to have written a decent program in garnome for the gnome
> > people.  I was very impressed until the very end when it failed to
> > compile the new versions of gnome on my aging distro.  It was still
> > very impressive.
>
> I wrote GAR for the LNX-BBC, and the GNOME folks maintain GARNOME, which
> is a GAR tree with the latest testing-needed GNOME code.  GAR does not
> replace Autoconf, and in fact relies on all the GNOME software having
> already been set up using autoconf/automake/etc.  GAR is more like
> "apt-get source --compile" or portage on the build-tools hierarchy.

Well, it was still impressive and I was looking for an excuse to tell
you so,

the fact that the gnome project doesn't keep all their peices in order
no longer suprises me.

You have to be a Stallman-like coder in C to install the gnome project.

Ruben