[linux-elitists] Is this not the funniest documentation you ever read?

Teh Entar-Nick nick@teh.entar.net
Thu Oct 2 09:38:17 PDT 2008

Ruben Safir:
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 10:40:29AM +0100, Teh Entar-Nick wrote:
> > The sad thing is that the world is nowhere near as messy as the one
> > Autoconf was designed for.  We no longer need a system that will
> > spit out build scripts that work on Apollo workstations, Ultrix, and
> > 2.11BSD.
[..]
> You seem to have written a decent program in garnome for the gnome
> people.  I was very impressed until the very end when it failed to
> compile the new versions of gnome on my aging distro.  It was still
> very impressive.

I wrote GAR for the LNX-BBC, and the GNOME folks maintain GARNOME, which
is a GAR tree with the latest testing-needed GNOME code.  GAR does not
replace Autoconf, and in fact relies on all the GNOME software having
already been set up using autoconf/automake/etc.  GAR is more like
"apt-get source --compile" or portage on the build-tools hierarchy.

--
Though the great song return no more                  Nick Moffitt
There's keen delight in what we have:                nick@zork.net