[linux-elitists] Is this not the funniest documentation you ever read?

Ruben Safir ruben@mrbrklyn.com
Thu Oct 2 09:10:10 PDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 10:40:29AM +0100, Teh Entar-Nick wrote:
> Ruben Safir:
> > http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf.html#Writing-Autoconf-Input
> > > The problem Autoconf addresses is that the world is a mess. After
> > > all,....
>
> The sad thing is that the world is nowhere near as messy as the one
> Autoconf was designed for.  We no longer need a system that will spit
> out build scripts that work on Apollo workstations, Ultrix, and 2.11BSD.
> We can now at *least* count on POSIX shells being available, and awk,
> and so on.
>
> Unfortunately, all proposed replacements have either been vapor or
> crack.  We're stuck with m4 macros that spit out
> lowest-fucking-ever-common-denominator bourne shell subsets.

You seem to have written a decent program in garnome for the gnome
people.  I was very impressed until the very end when it failed to
compile the new versions of gnome on my aging distro.  It was still very
impressive.

Ruben