[linux-elitists] Is this not the funniest documentation you ever read?

Teh Entar-Nick nick@teh.entar.net
Thu Oct 2 02:40:29 PDT 2008

Ruben Safir:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf.html#Writing-Autoconf-Input
> > The problem Autoconf addresses is that the world is a mess. After
> > all,....

The sad thing is that the world is nowhere near as messy as the one
Autoconf was designed for.  We no longer need a system that will spit
out build scripts that work on Apollo workstations, Ultrix, and 2.11BSD.
We can now at *least* count on POSIX shells being available, and awk,
and so on.

Unfortunately, all proposed replacements have either been vapor or
crack.  We're stuck with m4 macros that spit out
lowest-fucking-ever-common-denominator bourne shell subsets.

--
How do you get mailings?... from the lists             Nick Moffitt
1. suspects                                           nick@zork.net