[linux-elitists] Defective By Design

Ruben Safir ruben@mrbrklyn.com
Wed Oct 1 21:29:59 PDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 04:14:41PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Aaron Porter (atporter@primate.net):
>
> > Is it just me, or is it the FSF that seems to have gone defective?
> > Their latest anti-iPhone campaign[1] crosses some lines I'm not too pleased
> > with. They're urging people to setup a meatspace denial of service attack
> > against the "Genius Bars" in Apple Stores world wide in an effort to
> > educate Apple about [how] its product is "restricting your freedoms".
>
> The FSF go through recurring cycles of either being spot-on in their
> public actions or making you shake your head.  It probably depends on
> volunteer staffing.

It might.  I've been personally bitten by that bug where the only
volunteers you can get are truly on the lunatic fringe and do more
damage than help to a cause.

OTOH, this might also emulate directly from Richard.  He's been
increasingly upset with how hardware can restrict users and he might be
just ahead of the curve.  I doubt he'd promote a denial of service
attack either in the Apple Stores on otherwise.

First of all, Richard doesn't believe he has that kind of man power.

Ruben