[linux-elitists] One more thing on DRM...

Ruben Safir ruben@mrbrklyn.com
Wed Oct 1 21:25:03 PDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 02:49:36PM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> >From the political news files:
>   http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/26/michael-savage-lawsuit-ag_n_115103.html
>
>   "In her ruling Friday, U.S. District Judge Susan
>   Illston said people who listen to a public broadcast
>   are entitled to use excerpts for purposes of comment
>   and criticism."
>
> Of course, if the comment and criticism had used a
> circumvented copy of a DRM-restricted work, no such
> exception applies.
>
> Anyone got an example of a straight-up _political
> speaker_ who's using a DRM-restricted format, and
> a comment on or criticism of that speaker?

This Judge is a crackpot and these people don't yet understand the
monster they're creating.

But what is more interesting, IMO, is the Real case against the MPAA
with their new ripping software, which in itself seems like a Free
Software nightmare.

Should I cite a news source?

Ruben