[linux-elitists] attack of the low-cost ultra-mobile linux boxen

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Mon May 19 14:34:48 PDT 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 05:04:07PM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 01:40:17PM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
>  > begin Greg KH quotation of Mon, May 19, 2008 at 10:55:02AM -0700:
>  >
>  > > Please note, if you want to run a "non-tainted" Linux kernel, that's not
>  > > going to be possible just yet with this device.  It ships with two
>  > > closed source kernel modules (via 3d and broadcom wireless), that are
>  > > much larger than the rest of the whole kernel itself.
>  >
>  > Have the contributors to VIA's "open source driver
>  > development portal"
>  >   http://lwn.net/Articles/280411/
>  > gotten connected to the right people upstream?
>
> Some of their developers did a huge code drop of via framebuffer code
> for the kernel a few weeks back, but to the best of my knowledge,
> that's the only code that's come out since their big announcement last month.

Yeah, I've been talking with them directly as well, that framebuffer
code is currently getting into linux-next through my tree thanks to
that interaction.

But the 3-d stuff is still not happening yet, I keep poking them through
a bunch of different channels...

> I'm a bit miffed they continue to distribute a binary version of one
> of my drivers without source for their modifications, but I continue
> to give them the benefit of the doubt.   Hopefully they'll wise up soon.

In my talking with them it still seems more of a "not quite realizing
they have to do this" type thing, instead of a "maliciously" doing it.
But as time goes on, I'm feeling less and less generous.

thanks,

greg k-h