[linux-elitists] attack of the low-cost ultra-mobile linux boxen

Dave Jones davej@redhat.com
Mon May 19 14:04:07 PDT 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 01:40:17PM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
 > begin Greg KH quotation of Mon, May 19, 2008 at 10:55:02AM -0700:
 >
 > > Please note, if you want to run a "non-tainted" Linux kernel, that's not
 > > going to be possible just yet with this device.  It ships with two
 > > closed source kernel modules (via 3d and broadcom wireless), that are
 > > much larger than the rest of the whole kernel itself.
 >
 > Have the contributors to VIA's "open source driver
 > development portal"
 >   http://lwn.net/Articles/280411/
 > gotten connected to the right people upstream?

Some of their developers did a huge code drop of via framebuffer code
for the kernel a few weeks back, but to the best of my knowledge,
that's the only code that's come out since their big announcement last month.

I'm a bit miffed they continue to distribute a binary version of one
of my drivers without source for their modifications, but I continue
to give them the benefit of the doubt.   Hopefully they'll wise up soon.

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk