[linux-elitists] What would be the proper course of action for?a possible GPL violation?

James Sparenberg james@linuxrebel.org
Thu May 15 14:42:09 PDT 2008

On Wednesday 14 May 2008 10:24:45 pm Don Marti wrote:
> begin Greg KH quotation of Wed, May 14, 2008 at 09:09:13PM -0700:
> > I think the whole userspace application stuff on top of X is closed
> > source, and isn't based on any GPL code, other than the kernel and other
> > utilities underneath.  So I don't think you are going to get very far.
>
> Well, you could install the board in a machine,
> and find that, say, the sound works under the
> "proprietary" preloaded distribution but not with a
> live CD of an up-to-date Free distribution.
>
> Is there any hardware on the board that works with
> the preload but not with a regular distro?
>
> Wireless seems to be from a company that's doing the
> Right Thing:
>   http://lwn.net/Articles/258591/

From what I saw all  hardware was working in both cases.  But admittedly the
time I got to "play" was short.  This is IMHO such an absolutely cool
feature, I am hoping to open the kimono so to speak, enough, that this can
become a common feature even if the HDD has another OS on it.

James