[linux-elitists] micro-linux servers powered over ethernet?

Tony Godshall togo@of.net
Thu May 15 10:46:26 PDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 9:03 AM, Phil Mayers <p.mayers@imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
> All,
>
> We've got a possible application for a tiny linux server. The form
> factor would be small, USB-key sized, and they'd need to have an
> ethernet port and draw their power from a PoE socket.
>
> (The specific application is plugging them into old ethernet switches,
> and the devices would emit LLDP packets, thus allowing us to
> topology-discover our network)
>
> Anyone know of such a thing?

Some of the AlamedaWireless guys like
Mikrotik Routerboards (to put them on
top of a pole on top of a roof).  This one
uses Debian as the reference Linux OS:

http://www.routerboard.com/rb500.html

The lower end ones run OpenWRT well,
too, but you probably won't be running
Apache etc. on that kind of Linux distro.

Not as small as a gumstix etc. but
multiple integrated ethernet and miniPCI
(for wifi etc)

--
Best Regards.
Please keep in touch.