[linux-elitists] What would be the proper course of action for a possible GPL violation?

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu May 15 08:45:04 PDT 2008

Quoting Phil Mayers (p.mayers@imperial.ac.uk):

> What about if the device runs a supposedly unmodified linux kernel, but
> compiled with a specific toolchain which is not available? Are they not
> mandated to make the toolchain & build scripts available?

I don't believe there's any general grounds on which a compiled binary
is deemed necessarily a derivative work of its toolchain, else it would
not be possible to compile proprietary or incompatibly-licensed binaries
with free-software toolchains.

--
Cheers,             We write precisely            We say exactly
Rick Moen           Since such is our habit in    How to do a thing or how