[linux-elitists] What would be the proper course of action?for?a possible GPL violation?

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Wed May 14 22:20:54 PDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 09:39:00PM -0700, James Sparenberg wrote:
> So I take then you don't know the proper course of action to take to ensure
> that there is not a violation of the GPL occurring.  Which is in this case
> what I'm trying to uncover.  I prefere not to speculate of what maybe might
> be being done and instead hand this over to someone who has the proper data
> set to make an accurate legal assessment of the situation, and if needed
> assist the company in question in maximizing their potential.

First you need to figure out if there is any violation happening.  You
can do that by looking at the system itself and the binary images
involved.  Lots of work that gpl-violation.org does is trying to see if
there really is a problem or not.  Companies go through all sorts of
tricks to try to hide firmware in devices (compression, simple
encryption, etc) that usually all show themselves eventually.

> (btw it's kinda cool too, too bad the system with the motherboard is a 1U
> production server, and not my desktop/laptop *sigh*)

I'm in the market for a 1U server right now, maybe I'll look into this
one...

thanks,

greg k-h