[linux-elitists] What would be the proper course of action for a possible GPL violation?

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Wed May 14 20:12:00 PDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 07:55:05PM -0700, James Sparenberg wrote:
> All,
>
>    As some of you may have seen on slashdot there is an announcement that all
> asus mobo's will in the near future contain built in splashtop Linux desktop.
> Being the curious monkey I am.  I go to the site and start looking for
> packages and source.  Just to see what it is I'm dealing with.
>
>   Not only am I not finding a path to source, but I saw this page and the
> following paragraph contained within.
>
> http://www.splashtop.com/aboutus-corporate.php
>
> <snip>
> DeviceVM is releasing its first software product, Splashtop, in October of
> 2007. Splashtop is a proprietary technology developed by DeviceVM that
> provides users with a rapid-start alternative to the traditional operating
> system.
> </snip>
>
> Now before people start calling me alarmist.  I'm not trying to raise a call
> to arms, and I do understand business.  What I'm looking for is the proper
> method to follow to find the people able to assist DeviceVM in working with
> GPL'd software, and complying with it's license.
>
> Suggestions?

Until you have a device with this code in it, in your hands, you can't
legally ask for the source code.

So, first step would be to buy the device.

FYI, I know someone who was just talking with ASUS last week in Tiawan,
and I think they are doing the right thing with regards to their kernel
GPL code, so I don't think there are going to be any issues here.  If
you run into problems, let me know and I'll see if I can get some direct
engineering contacts for you.

good luck,

greg k-h