[linux-elitists] micro-linux servers powered over ethernet?

Karsten M. Self karsten@linuxmafia.com
Wed May 14 11:58:23 PDT 2008

on Wed, May 14, 2008 at 05:03:56PM +0100, Phil Mayers (p.mayers@imperial.ac.uk) wrote:
> All,
>
> We've got a possible application for a tiny linux server. The form
> factor would be small, USB-key sized, and they'd need to have an
> ethernet port and draw their power from a PoE socket.
>
> (The specific application is plugging them into old ethernet switches,
> and the devices would emit LLDP packets, thus allowing us to
> topology-discover our network)
>
> Anyone know of such a thing?

For size, probably Gumstix:

    http://www.gumstix.com/

I don't know about PoE, it's not discussed in anything I can find on the
product.  I've got grand schemes to have a cluster of these puppies with
some sort of low-voltage bus serving them rather than a companion
cluster of wall-warts.

Otherwise you're looking at 3"-4" form-factors for anything that turns
up in a search on "SBC (PoE|power over ethernet)".

Peace.

    Ceterum censeo, Caldera delenda est.