[linux-elitists] NYLXS Press Release on the OLPC Project

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Sat May 3 19:58:42 PDT 2008

begin Rick Moen quotation of Sat, May 03, 2008 at 11:22:18AM -0700:
> Quoting Evan Prodromou (evan@prodromou.name):
>
> > Is there a press release HOWTO? I'd love to have one.

Two good books: _Making the News: A Guide for
Activists and Nonprofits_ by Jason Salzman doesn't
just cover the actual writing, but also planning
events, building a press list, and being interviewed.

Ideally a press release should be written like a short
newspaper story.  _On Reporting the News_ by William
E. Burrows is a good place to start.  It's out of
print but there were $2 used copies all over the place
last I checked.  Pay attention to the chapter about
"The Lead" since most people who read press releases
read the first sentence *if* you're lucky.

And many Free Software organizations have a designated
media manipulator.  If you see your favorite project
sending out releases, you might want to ask the
contact person if he or she would review your next
draft and make suggestions.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/