[linux-elitists] Portable music player?

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Tue Mar 18 10:52:10 PDT 2008

begin Teh Entar-Nick quotation of Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 05:52:34PM +0000:
> Teh Entar-Nick:
> > It's an MTP device, so I have to use either rhythmbox or mtp-tools
> > right now.  I read that there might be a raw storage mode for the
> > thing, but it's still filling up its first charge as I type this.
>
> Of course, it seems that MTPFS made it into the Hardy repositories just
> before freeze, so 8.04 will likely have really smooth support for these
> things.

Well, I went and got one.  (None of the big-box
stores around here sounds anywhere near as classy as
"Tottenham Court Road" so I won't even try. I somehow
imagine the Tottenham Court Road shop assistant
handing it to you politely, in the regular box,
instead of making you hack and slash through
supposedly-dumb-shoplifter-resistant extra layer
of packaging.)  About 60 US lire.

Plugged it into the Ubuntu box (Gutsy) and Rhythmbox
came right up -- but, so near and yet so far -- the
"Portable Players - MTP" plugin was not on by default.
Had to click the box to turn that on, and then I
could go ahead and drag stuff to the device.

(Still much easier than the non-Linux instructions in
the little booklet.  It's a place where Free Software,
thanks to lower transaction costs, has an inherent
usability advantage.  Apple seems to have borrowed
the "click-n-run warehouse" idea for their iPhone, so
the best that Evil can do is already close, though.)

Next step is to fix my podcast script to work with
Venus ( http://intertwingly.net/code/venus/ ) and do
a daily auto-fill.

--
Don Marti