[linux-elitists] How about digital voice recorders while we're at it? (was: Re: Portable music player?)

Tony Godshall togo@of.net
Sun Mar 16 12:20:52 PDT 2008

I use the open source rockbox.org firmware on my Sansa e240, which are
commonly available for < $50.  They do record and in addition to the onboard
flash, they also accept microSD cards.  I've only used the 2GB ones (which
are sometimes as cheap as $18 at Fry's), which should give you an
essentially unlimited recording time (buy as many as you like).

Haven't done much recording with them, so you should look around for more
specific reviews in that department.  The manual[1] says it records to PCM
Wave and AIFF, the losslessly compressed WavPack and the lossy MPEG
Layer 3

The Sansa c240 is essentially a more compact version of the same,
and the 250, 260, etc. have larger capacities.

Tony

[1] http://download.rockbox.org/manual/rockbox-sansae200/rockbox-buildch9.html

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 11:48 AM, Karsten M. Self
<karsten@linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> on Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 03:36:22PM -0700, Don Marti (dmarti@zgp.org) wrote:
>  > I now have enough no-laptop time in my day that I can
>  > justify getting some kind of portable media player.
>
>  In my own case, it's a slight variant:  I'm looking for a good digital
>  voice recorder which saves to a reasonably supported standard, and has
>  good general features.  Reading specs on packaging is pretty much a lost
>  cause.
>
>  Feature list:
>
>   - Save to WAV, MP3, OGG (fat chance), or another open standard audio
>     format.  Found an RCA that somewhat works but saves to "VOC" format,
>     which is apparently somewhat supported but not in this particular
>     implementation.  I'm finding references to units which apparently
>     store to WMV / WMA (windows media) format, which may work, would
>     like to know what other's experiences are.
>
>   - "Supported" == can play/edit w/ xmms, audacity, and/or sox.
>
>   - File transfer capabilities.  Usually means "treat device like a USB
>     drive".  Much faster than recording over audio-out.
>
>   - Good navigation on the unit itself.  Skipping between recordings,
>     forward/back scan w/in a given recording, bookmarking w/in
>     recordings.  The RCA unit's fast-forward and very, very, very slow
>     reverse functions simply suck.
>
>   - High capacity.  30 - 100+ hours would be good.  Means I don't have
>     to constantly worry about running out of storage.
>
>   - Capable of taking rechargeable batteries.  Because I love my mother.
>

>  Peace.
>
>  --
>  Karsten M. Self <karsten@linuxmafia.com>        http://linuxmafia.com/~karsten
>     Ceterum censeo, Caldera delenda est.