[linux-elitists] Spam complying with CAN SPAM

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Sat Jun 14 11:10:59 PDT 2008

Looks like the Marketing types of the world are
getting emboldened by our pro-spam FTC...
  http://weblog.infoworld.com/gripeline/archives/2008/06/ftc_says_yes_yo.html

I'm starting to see spam that looks like it traces
back to a semi-legit company.

Anyone else getting spam linking to disposable domain
names that copy the content from patchperfect dot
com -- with the company's actual contact info and an
apparently working unsubscribe link?

whois has officialtvwebsite822 dot com at the same
postal address as the original site:

6070 Mission Gorge Rd. Suite 1, San Diego, CA 92120.

Either this is a very good joe job, or it's another
attempt by DMA types to push the boundaries.

Looks like an opportunity for another Gevalia-style
lawsuit.  Of course, the infomercial impresarios
behind this grass seed company will start another
company selling something else, but there's probably
enough money to make it worthwhile for a small ISP
or mail host with a reasonably priced lawyer.

--
Don Marti                                               +1 415-734-7913 mobile
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/