[linux-elitists] web server software for tarpitting?

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Feb 25 06:59:53 PST 2008

begin kermit tensmeyer quotation of Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 03:06:30AM +0000:

>  Does the http response for the dtd GET on w3c include an expires? It
> didn't the last time I looked. But the last time I looked was a while
> ago.

$ HEAD http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd | grep ^Expires
Expires: Sun, 25 May 2008 14:49:35 GMT

> > This situation seems different because it's not one badly designed
> > product, but zillions of in-house programs.  In this case, the only way
> > I can see to make someone complain is to slow down the software. The
> > developer who's ordered to make the fix wouldn't even have to know about
> > the policy.
>
>   It isn't a few million in-house programs that are the problem, it's the
> majority of the internet available software. All most everything that has
> anything to do with XML, SGML or HTML is impacted by these changes.

Most software that actually uses XML, SGML or HTML
does it responsibly.

>   It's not a choice of the Programmer or Developer, it really is at the
> end of a chain of library calls and it may not be anything that the
> programmer for the in-house software can change

Really?  There's a library that won't work unless
it's online and able to beat on www.w3c.org?  Where?

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/