[linux-elitists] Site duplication... is this widespread?

Evan Prodromou evan@prodromou.name
Sun Feb 3 12:55:38 PST 2008

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 10:15 -0600, Tilghman Lesher wrote:

> Given that you control the CSS, you have a perfect opportunity to make his
> entire site un-viewable, simply by changing the CSS when the referer is set
> externally (white text on white background?)

My experience running Open Content sites is that people who create
mirrors generally have good intentions and would like to retain a
positive relationship. They don't abuse your bandwidth because they want
to screw you over; they do it because they think you're so big you won't
care.

Usually a quick email to the registered domain owner has been enough to
see some changes on the site -- reduced hotlinking, better attribution,
some differentiation of brand.

-Evan