[linux-elitists] Elan Digital Systems devices...

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Fri Dec 12 14:30:26 PST 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 02:14:48PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 11:59:53AM -0800, Greg KH (greg@kroah.com) wrote:
>
> > I'd strongly recommend anything from Sierra Wireless.  They fully
> > support Linux for all of their devices, have a kernel developer working
> > for them that maintains the in-kernel driver, and respond very quickly
> > to bug reports.
> >
> > They also do nice things like package up newer versions of the drivers
> > for older distros, if you are stuck using something like that.
> >
> > In short, they really understand the kernel development process and have
> > contributed greatly to the overall advancement of getting these types of
> > devices working and supported on Linux.
>
> Any chance there's a (partial, incomplete, dated...) list of similarly
> clueful vendors out there?  That's a strong endorsement, from someone I
> respect (yeah, you Greg KH), and it's absolutely the sort of behavior
> I'd like to encourage.

There's no real "list" other than the kernel changelog.  Seeing patches
for a driver from a company that makes the hardware is usually a very
good indication that you can trust the Linux support for the device.

Using git it's trivial to just see the log for the files you care about.
For instance, to see who is adding patches for the sierra.c driver, you
can do:
	git log drivers/usb/serial/sierra.c

You can also do this on a directory as well:

	git log drivers/net/wireless/

to give you an idea.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h