[linux-elitists] Elan Digital Systems devices...

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Fri Dec 12 11:59:53 PST 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 07:50:04AM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 12:53 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 03:39:28PM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
> >
> > Why not just get a cheap USB modem and put the SIM card into it instead?
> > That way no contract has to be bought out.
>
> Well, I have a Sierra Wireless AC595 that doesn't support a Sim Card.

You should be able to get your provider to switch to a new device if you
report it as "broken" or "lost".  It's just a few minutes with them
entering in serial numbers of your new device into their system.

> In any case, not that I am asking for an "endorsement", *which* cellular
> USB 2.0 Modem would you suggest? There are a few and which ones work
> best, as I've had issue with the AC595 as far as bandwidth is concerned.

I'd strongly recommend anything from Sierra Wireless.  They fully
support Linux for all of their devices, have a kernel developer working
for them that maintains the in-kernel driver, and respond very quickly
to bug reports.

They also do nice things like package up newer versions of the drivers
for older distros, if you are stuck using something like that.

In short, they really understand the kernel development process and have
contributed greatly to the overall advancement of getting these types of
devices working and supported on Linux.

thanks,

greg k-h