[linux-elitists] netconsole module - kernel dmesg-over-network logging

Karsten M. Self karsten@linuxmafia.com
Thu Dec 11 18:09:10 PST 2008

on Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 05:13:49PM -0800, Don Marti (dmarti@zgp.org) wrote:
> begin Karsten M. Self quotation of Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 02:38:22PM -0800:
>
> > For testing, you want to generate some kernel activity.
> > I'm open to other suggestions.
>
> A module that just does a printk and then refuses
> to be inserted?  Insmod it every time you want a
> test line.
>
> #include <linux/module.h>
> #include <linux/kernel.h>
> MODULE_LICENSE("GPL");
>
> int refuse(void)
> {
>     printk(KERN_WARNING "I'm a pointless module.  Hello log file!\n");
>     return -1;
> }
>
> module_init(refuse);
>
> /* to build modules outside the kernel tree:
> Documentation/kbuild/modules.txt  */

Hrm...  So there isn't a way to just trigger a message by ordinary
userspace means?

Kicking ideas around at work the most plausible suggestions were to
load/unload a kernel module (the loopback module seemed like a
relatively innocuous bet), umounting/remounting a filesystem, or
inserting a USB drive.  So that's on my short list.

Peace.

    Ceterum censeo, Caldera delenda est.