[linux-elitists] netconsole module - kernel dmesg-over-network logging

Karsten M. Self karsten@linuxmafia.com
Thu Dec 11 16:24:12 PST 2008

on Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 03:40:10PM -0800, Greg KH (greg@kroah.com) wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 02:38:22PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > This is an old-but-it's-new-to-me feature I've just discovered.  The
> > existing docs are sufficiently not-quite-clear that I thought I'd take a
> > stab at it here.
>
> Why "here"?  Why not submit changes to the in-kernel documentation if
> you feel it should be cleared up?

I noted it _here_ because normal folks can take note of the fact.  I've
found that linux-elitists + Google is a reasonably good personal filing
cabinet (thanks, Don).  The fact that some of the docs I'd found either
provided inconsistent instructions and _all_ failed to note the
significance of the GW parameter is one that I think others will find
particularly useful.  It only hung us up a couple of hours, I figure
save that x N for everyone else.

netconsole *is* a phenomenally useful bit of code.  It's one of those
"there's got to be a way to do this ... oh, there is and it's been there
for years!" moments that are a big part of what I love about working
with Linux and Free Software.

I forwarded the mail separately to Matt Mackall.  Noted that you're
among the elitists when I did.  Didn't CC the list (and that was before
seeing Rick & Ben's round).

> > The netconsole kernel module was introduced in 2001 and has since been
> > ported to the 2.6 series kernels.
>
> "since"?  I think it was there around 2.5 or maybe 2.4 days.  In other
> words, years ago...

Mostly just parroting what's in the netconsole.txt file:

    started by Ingo Molnar <mingo@redhat.com>, 2001.09.17
    2.6 port and netpoll api by Matt Mackall <mpm@selenic.com>, Sep 9 2003

... which was faster than digging through kernel changelogs and getting
the full history.

> thanks,

Likewise.

Peace.