[linux-elitists] Per-user network up and down scripts

James Sparenberg james@linuxrebel.org
Tue Dec 9 15:58:00 PST 2008

On Friday 05 December 2008 07:19:49 Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 03:27:19AM -0500, Ruben Safir wrote:
> > It is doing a hell of a lot less now.  I hate DBUS and HAL
>
> Then go back to a 5 year old distro and see how well it works for
> dynamic devices and proper multi-user permissions on those devices.
>
> Good luck,
>
> greg k-h

Greg, although I agree with your point, I don't feel that it's a "works
in all cases" solution.

  Long have I disagreed with M$, RH and others that a server OS does not
need to include the features one needs for Laptops and Desktops.  The
more of them it includes (GUI, wireless, ooO.org etc etc etc.) by
default, the harder it is to keep a secure system.

  HAL is great for dynamic environments, D-Bus seems to be reasonably
simple for programmers to connect to, but I can see the need for a non-
dynamic way of handling things.  In fact on my servers I often block all
dynamic events (as far as hardware insertion goes) simply because it
makes it harder for id-10-t's to do funky things.   (and btw I keep USB
to PS2 adapters around for keyboards)

Great to have HAL if I'm on a laptop/Desktop.  Not so needed if I'm on a
server.  There the hardware is static as ever.

James