[linux-elitists] Per-user network up and down scripts

Nathaniel Smith njs@pobox.com
Sun Dec 7 23:59:24 PST 2008

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 11:23 PM, Ben Finney
<bignose+hates-spam@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Right. Which is why, upstream, I asked for alternatives when Teh
> Entar-Nick said:
>
>> […] remote X11 is the worst form of network-transparent graphical
>> rendering we have in Linux
>
> I continue to wait for Nick or others to weigh in with other options
> they consider less bad for that job than remote X11.

For the case of a thin client accessing a full desktop on a local
server over a fast network, raw X does okay (that's pretty much
exactly what it was designed for, after all). FreeNX would be better
still in principle -- giving lower bandwidth, better latency, and
disconnectable/resumable sessions -- but I hesitate to recommend it in
practice since the cool tech is wrapped up in a writhing evil of shell
scripts and bizarre interface decisions (and the company throwing the
code over the wall *likes* it that way).

For pretty much any other use case whatsoever, something like VNC or
xpra[1] are better approaches. VNC would probably be a better approach
for you too, if the surrounding tooling (login systems etc.) were
better. Someone should get on that, I'm sure.

-- Nathaniel

[1] http://partiwm.org/wiki/xpra ; ObDisclosure: I wrote it.